Thursday, January 16, 2014

Math Autobiography




 



As a future teacher, I feel that it is important to reflect on my own experiences in educational settings in order to adequately help my future students learn new concepts and ideas. Reflecting on how you were taught is an effective way to gain understanding of how children feel about situations. 

 My memories surrounding the learning of mathematics however are very few. I recall liking math. I also remember how self-fulfilling it was to breeze through a problem solving question. My only conclusion on my "math amnesia" is that little thought was involved and that math was not a challenge for me. My one and only memory that really stands out to me when I think back to primary and elementary mathematics is playing math games in the computer lab in grade four.

In high school math became more of challenge in a positive way. I really enjoyed mathematics throughout high school except for one year in grade ten. My math teacher was a very well educated individual, however she struggled with the concept of teaching. That year the whole class had difficulty understanding what she was trying to teach. This was a very agonizing experience. That year I absolutely despised math and my mark was significantly lower than any other year. However, in the following years of high school I regained my love for math and also began tutoring other students.

I still enjoy math and I use it every day in various ways, such as grocery shopping, cooking, and baking. I hope to bring my own love for mathematics into the classroom in a fun way, which will encourage children to want to learn more about mathematics.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment