Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What is Mathematics?


Mathematics is a very broad discipline. While many people see it as merely numbers and equations, it can be classified as much more than that. Math is an art, a science, a humanity and also a history in some sense. Math is everything we do!  Mathematics may take many forms

Although I have learnt and taught math, I have no simple explanation of what math is. I think math is different to each and every person because it depends on the relationship they have with the subject area. Some people hate math, but why? Is it because they did not receive a sufficient teaching experience. Based on my own personal involvement, it is the students who struggle but do not receive help that flourish into math haters. I believe math can be taught in a much more interesting and stimulating way then it is currently being communicated in our school systems.

 Until just last week, I seen math in a very narrow- minded way, because I considered math the things I learnt in the classroom - fractions, patterns, and equations. However, after researching and pondering “what is math?” I see  math in a new light. Everything you do can be looked at and thought of in a mathematical sense!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment